Pointe shoes aren’t really known for their long life span, so it’s best to try and look after your shoes to make them last a long as possible. I’ve put together a short list of things you can do to help look after your pointe shoes.
- Firstly, always make sure shoes are broken in correctly and carefully and after the first time you wear your shoes mark them left and right.
- After every class or anytime you wear your shoes, always take out the padding and hang them up to let them dry. DO NOT leave them in your dance bag.
- If you use your pointe shoes for several classes during a week buy two or more pairs to wear. Pointe shoes should be taken off and allowed to dry after 45-60 minutes of training. Always allow pointe shoes at least 24 hours to dry before wearing them again.
- Mesh pointe shoe bags can be useful if you are needing to carry your pointe shoes around from class to class
- Shellacs and glues can be brought to help re-harden your shoes to make them last longer. Dance stores and pointe shoe fitters will be able to guide you on what product would be best for you
- Suede tips can be glued to the tips of the shoes. Not only will this give you more grip but will stop the tips of the shoes wearing out